Understanding Thermostatic Mixing Valves

Thermostatic mixing valves are used throughout most facilities. They can be found where there are faucets, showers, and other point-of-use locations where people come into contact with water at your facility. Why are thermostatic mixing valves present in areas where water comes into contact with people? For one very important reason: to protect your patrons from scalding water. 

In this article, you will learn exactly how thermostatic mixing valves work, why they are needed, where they are installed, when they need to be replaced, and more in a Q&A format. After the Q&A’s, you can learn more about the valves we carry and the most popular heating equipment manufacturers we work with.

Thermostatic Mixing Valve Q&A

Q: What does a Thermostatic Mixing Valve do?
A: A thermostatic mixing valve blends hot and cold water to ensure safe temperature water at the outlet. 

Q: Why do we need Thermostatic Mixing Valves?
A: Thermostatic mixing valves are used to accurately mix hot and cold water before it comes into contact with people. This stops scalding water from coming out of the shower or faucet, which can be dangerous.

Q: Where are thermostatic mixing valves used?
A: In commercial facilities, you are likely to find two different types of thermostatic mixing valves:

  1. 1. Point-of-Use Valves: Also called Single Thermostatic Mixing Valves. These can be found at the faucet or showerhead.
  2. 2. Group Control or Master Thermostatic Mixing Valves. These valves control a group of point-of-use fixtures, like a shower room with 10 showerheads. 

Q: When does a thermostatic mixing valve need to be replaced?
A: You will know that a thermostatic mixing valve is going bad when the water temperate from the point-of-use starts to fluctuate. A proper functioning mixing valve will maintain a constant temperature.

Q: What is the difference between a tempering valve and a thermostatic mixing valve?
A: They are very similar but essentially, a thermostatic mixing valve is exact, and a tempering valve only tempers the water, so with it, you will get fluctuation. It is acceptable to use a tempering valve in areas where direct contact with skin will not occur, like for water used in laundry machines, where fluctuation is alright.

Q: When do you need to pair a temperature gauge with a thermostatic mixing valve?
A: A temperature gauge is only required with a mixing valve when it is being used in conjunction with eye safety fixtures.

Q: Why are thermostatic mixing valves the preferred water temperature controlling devices for large commercial facilities?
A: Thermostatic mixing valves are the preferred water temperature controlling devices in commercial buildings like health care facilities because they limit maximum outlet temperature even when the pressure or flow differs due to the outlet’s location or distance from the water source.

Thermostatic Mixing Valve Manufacturers

We carry thermostatic mixing valves, as well as a wide variety of other heating equipment, from Powers, Symmons, Lawler, Leonard, Bradley, Acorn, and other heating equipment manufacturers.

Thermostatic Mixing Valve Manufacturers

Give us a call today to get help finding the repair parts and fixtures needed to keep your facility running smoothly and your water safe for your patrons.

You can view a sampling of the thermostatic mixing valves we carry on our website in the Thermostatic Mixing Valves section. However, know that this is only a small sampling of the thermostatic mixing valves we carry.

Give us a call to order the thermostatic mixing valves needed for your facility. If possible, note the manufacturer and manufacturer model number of the valve or the Equiparts part number. If you don’t know either of these numbers, then give us a call and one of our product experts with help you find the mixing valves needed for your facility.

Toll-Free: 800-442-6622 // Pittsburgh: 412-781-9100
Phone Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30am – 5pm EST

Plumber Pad by Plumber’s Mate Product Spotlight

New at Equiparts: Plumber’s Mate® Absorbent Utility Pads. Easily keep your plumbing project areas clean by using these super absorbent plumber pads. Made by Rectorseal, Plumber’s Mate Absorbent Utility Pads are ideal for when needing to repair a leaking drain or pipe. They are great to use in those tight spaces under leaking sinks, drains, water heaters, faucets, or behind toilets. They feature SuperCore® technology that makes them the most highly absorbent pads available today.

Plumber Pad Product Features: 

  • Easily holds 1 quart of liquid
  • Protects cabinets and floors
  • Quick absorption of liquids
  • Great for use in tight spaces
  • Made in the USA

The patented SuperCore® technology protects surfaces from moisture damage and is an upgrade to the standard towels and buckets method. Each pad has a dry touch top layer, a dynamic liquid containment layer, and a leakproof protective layer.

What is SuperCore® Technology?

SuperCore is a patented, superabsorbent cellulose-based material that features triplelayer protection: a dry to the touch top layer, dynamic liquid containment middle layer, and a leakproof protective bottom layer.

  • Dry Touch Top Layer – Wicks away spills and prevents puddles from forming within minutes
  • Dynamic Liquid Containment Middle Layer – Absorbs all liquids and locks them in
  • Leakproof Protective Bottom Layer – Traps all moisture inside to keep surfaces underneath dry and messfree.

Avoid thousands of dollars in water damage and prevent your next plumbing project from becoming a huge mess!

Plumber Pads are a fantastic item to add to your Equiparts order so you can be prepared and keep your plumbing work area clean and prevent wet messes when completing a job. They can be used preventatively, by simply putting them down just in case there is an unforeseen leak, or strategically, by placing a plumber pad in the area that is likely to get messy from the work you are about to complete.

We recommend Plumber’s Mate Absorbent Utility Pads for all plumbers as well as facility managers and other maintenance personnel who work in kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas completing maintenance on fixtures, pipes, and other areas where water leaks are common.

Call to order Plumber Pads. Just mention Part #46920 and remember, each pack contains 6 pads that measure 24″ x 24″.

Toll-Free: 800-442-6622

Pittsburgh: 412-781-9100

Mon-Fri 7:30AM – 5PM EST